Here are some Pro’s and Con’s to consider when trying to decide if it’s worth it to buy a used professional quality instrument.
- If the clarinet has not cracked, it isn’t likely to.
- As long as it was steadily played, the clarinet is broken in and likely reliable.
- You will pay less than a new instrument.
- If its a brand name instrument, you are likely to be able to sell it down the way for most of what you paid for it.
- Most people sell used instruments at a time when most of the life of the instrument has been consumed. So, in reality, you are usually paying a high price for what is left.
- Unlike a new instrument, its much harder to try many used instruments of quality. As a result, you are likely to have to settle for an instrument that isn’t going to help you improve as much as you would like.
- The instrument may require additional repair work to put in good playing condition.
- Often older instruments have some issues. They may not have the evenest scale or the pitch on some notes may be high or low.
Purchasing a used clarinet is a compromise that sometimes makes sense and sometimes depending on what you are trying to accomplish does not. If you would like to discuss this in greater detail don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We can help.